Many homeowners fancy the idea of having a luxurious silk carpet in the living rooms of their homes. Silk carpet often features elaborate patterns such as floral or symbols designs. It is shiny and can make a bold statement in the house. On the other hand, you may also be considering on purchasing a wool carpet as it is soft, fuzzy and will keep your warm when the cold seasons approach. Which type of carpet you should buy will entirely depend on your circumstances. You can read the following comparison to determine whether wool or silk carpet suits your needs.
- Wool and silk rugs for sale at the store are made from different procedures.
- Wool is harvested from the sheep during the sheep shearing process. The worker uses a shearer to cut off the woolen fleece. The quality of the wool depends on a number of factors such as breed, age and diet of the sheep. Unlike silk, wool is a renewable resource because the fleece can regrow on the sheep and be harvested again every year. It is the reason why wool rug is cheap enough for homeowners with average budget. Genuine wool rug is soft, comfy and easy to blend in with the design in the surrounding environment.
- The harvesting of the material for silk rugs vs. wool rugs is completely different. Silk is obtained from a type of silk worm called mulberry silk worm that eats only mulberry leaves. The workers harvest the silk from thousands of cocoons to make a single silk carpet. The appearance of the silk carpet is shiny and the color can change through light reflection. It is not a renewable resource because they have to kill the silk worm in order to harvest the silk cocoon.
- Wool rug is thicker and stronger compared to silk rug. It can endure up to 20,000 bends without breaking. You can wash a wool rug at home with a detergent without any problem. It is suitable for placement in a high traffic area and can lasts up to 50 years if you look after it properly. It does not easily get infested with dust mites.
- Wool rug is suitable for use as a fire safe carpet at a business building. If the building catches fire, the wool carpet may get ignited but the fire will also easily go out. When it is burned, it will curl.
- If you observe a wool hair under the microscope, you will notice that it is covered with lots of protein scales. The protein scale is the reason why the wool hair is elastic and can quickly bounce back to its shape when being stretched. This is the reason why genuine wool is more durable than a synthetic wool hair.
- In the comparison of silk rugs vs. wool rugs, silk is more delicate compared to wool. It is susceptible to being torn if it constantly get walked over. Silk carpet can only endure up to 8,000 bends. Silk carpet is also easier to get dirty. If it gets dirty, it will require professional cleaning which can be extra expenses for you.
- Silk carpet is not suitable for use as a fire safe carpet as it can quickly ignite and burn fast. Thicker ones tend to burn at a slower rate. When it burns, the material will curl.
Ability to Trap Heat
- Both wool and silk rugs for sale at the store are good for helping you to cut down the energy cost. You will be able to see the value of investment in the wool and silk rugs for sale at the store in long term. Wool carpet is more effective in trapping heat and preventing it from transferring between rooms and floors. Those with thicker piles have better insulating power. With wool rug, you can sit on it and feel warm during the winter.
- Silk rug will feel cooler as it has lesser capability to trap heat during a winter. This is because silk is a more breathable material. Silk rug can’t be placed on the floor as it will get dirty and worn quickly. Instead, most people would hang the silk rug on the wall as a beautiful art.
- Both wool and silk rugs for sale at the carpet store have their own hypoallergenic properties that make them safe for people with allergy problems. Wool is a hypoallergenic material that is soft and gentle to the skin. It does not cause irritation or worsen your allergy conditions. It can absorb the moisture and create a dry environment that is not suitable for dust mite. The hypoallergenic property of the wool is the reason why the sheep is able to stay healthy in the outdoor year round.
- Silk is hypoallergenic because it contains sericin. Sericin is produced by the mulberry silk worm to glue together the silk fiber to become cocoon. Even after washing, there is still enough amount of sericin that remains to provide protection against bacteria, dust mite and mold.
Cleaning, Portability and Storage
- You must vacuum the wool rug at at least once every 2 weeks. When vacuuming, you must use low-medium power. You must be careful not to suck the fiber strands too much with the wand as they may come off. Alternatively, you can use a rug beater to beat out the dust every once in a while.
- Wool carpet is heavy and tiresome to carry for a single person. If you want to move it to another place in the house, you’ll need to get 2 – 3 persons to help you carry it. Because it is heavy, it is not portable and easy to transfer to another location. For example, when you need to move house, you will have to hire a truck to move the wool carpet.
- Silk rug is harder to care for. If your silk rug gets dusty, you can use a feather duster to dust it. You can also use a broom to sweep it. If it becomes necessary for you to clean with water, you may want to consider sending it to a professional cleaner. Silk becomes weaker when it is soaked in water. It should never be exposed to warm water or steam.
- Silk carpet is lightweight and can be moved to another position easily. You can easily roll away the silk carpet and put it in storage if you have no use. You can carry the silk carpet in your car if you need to transport it to another place.
- Wool area rugs are quite common. You can buy a small wool rug at the cheapest price around $100. Large wool area rug will cost at least a few hundred dollars. The cost depends on the type of wool that is used, for example, Kashmir, Dhurrie, Killim, and Moroccan. If you want to save money, you can buy it at the wholesale store. This is because the carpet store is a reseller and the price you see is usually 2 – 3 times higher.
- In wool carpet industry, finer wool yarn usually produce carpets with higher knot count. However, the knot count is not a necessary factor for determining the wool carpet quality.
- Genuine pure silk rug is hard to find in store but you can find a lot of wool/silk blend rug in the store. Both types of rugs are more costly than wool rugs. Silk is a symbol of royalty and is often used as decoration in a palace. Genuine silk rug, even the small one, will cost just below $10,000. If you want big silk rug, it will cost more than $10,000.
- Cheaper silk carpet has around 300 – 600 knots per square inch. Expensive silk rug can have up to 1,000 knots per square inch.
Add Value to Your House
- Silk carpet is an investment that can add value to your house. The older it gets, the more valuable it is. In the future, if you are in need of money, you can auction it off at a good price. Silk carpet has a long life span as it does not lose its shape or rot away like a wool carpet. Silk is often put in places that people seldom come into contact so it will look new even after many years.
- Wool carpet adds lesser value to the house. Wool carpet gets dirty and will have some permanent stain over time. For this reason, when you try to resell a used wool carpet, you may only be able to sell it at half the price.
- Wool carpet is susceptible to mold and mildew when it is wet. Silk will wick away the water but wool would absorb a large amount of water quickly. Before you know, mold will have already settled on your wool carpet, leaving you no choice but to throw it away.